The Wonder Center, a medical day treatment program of Children’s Hospital of Greenville Health System (GHS), for medically fragile children. It provides a stimulating environment to enhance all aspects of development while meeting the health needs of the child. The center is staffed by Pediatric Nurses and a Child Development Specialist who provide extraordinary care and activities for the children.
Children may attend from ages 4 weeks until 6 years as long as their medical condition warrants the need for nursing care. While many children of working parents attend the center, the program also is readily available for parents needing respite care.
The Wonder Center is under contract with the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, which provides care for children through the Medicaid Medically Complex Children’s Waiver. Anyone may recommend a child for admission, but orders from a primary care (“regular”) doctor must be included for care to be provided.
The Wonder Center
29 N. Academy Street Greenville, SC 29601
(864) 331-1418 Fax
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.- 5:30 p.m.
- Protective environment for children with complex medical needs
- Alternative care option for families with children who are medically fragile and/or technology dependent
- Therapeutic services that promote physical, educational and emotional development (provided by Kidnetics of GHS in the same convenient, central location)
- Increased socialization and developmental stimulation for enhanced quality of life
- Care collaboration with families and all care providers
- Medical care as directed by each child’s own medical provider’s orders
- Group activities such as Circle Time, Pajama Day, Kindermusik, Art Show, holiday celebrations, pet therapy and playground (with access) time
Child Development Specialist
The Wonder Center employs a Child Development specialist (CDS) who addresses developmental needs through appropriate assessments and interventions to promote cognitive, language, motor and social development in your child. The CDS provides therapeutic activities in addition to your child’s other services and therapies to optimize developmental outcomes. She uses a multidisciplinary team approach and serves as a liaison among the nursing staff, Kidnetics staff and outside care providers.
Every child at the Wonder Center is unique, so individualized care and therapies are important to maximize his or her potential. A developmental assessment will be completed for each child within six weeks of admission to the center. The developmental assessments, conducted by the Child Development specialist, include the following skill areas: gross motor, fine motor, speech/language, self-help and social/emotional. In addition to the use of developmental assessment tools, information is gathered through parent interviews, child observations and medical records.
Each child at the Wonder Center has an individual treatment plan based on his or her medical needs and developmental goals. The treatment plans are created by a multidisciplinary team that includes the parent(s), the center’s clinical supervisor, the care coordinator, the Child Development specialist and any therapist or interventionists working with the child.