See the new Camp Courage site at Pleasant Ridge Camp & Retreat Center! Camp Courage Virtual Tour
Founded in 1994, Camp Courage creates an unforgettable recreational experience for children and teens with cancer or blood disorders from the Upstate of South Carolina, western North Carolina, and Northeast Georgia.
At Camp Courage, campers are free to play, laugh, explore, and grow in a normal developmentally appropriate way. Trained counselors and volunteers help to nurture the campers’ self-confidence and provide therapeutic opportunities for individual development.
Staff of the BI-LO Charities Children’s Cancer Center, a facility of the Greenville Health System’s Children’s Hospital, provides 24 hour medical supervision while children are at camp.
Camp Courage is a non-profit program supported by community and civic groups, businesses, colleges and universities, religious organizations, and individuals. For more information about Camp Courage please call (864) 455-8741.
- To allow children and adolescents living with blood disorders or cancer the opportunity to experience camp, peer living, and outdoor activities at NO COST.
- To allow children and adolescents the opportunity to interact and learn from other peers who have similar healthcare experiences.
- To provide children and adolescents with normal camp experiences while being supervised by trained medical and non-medical staff.
- To promote staff and patient relationships outside the medical environment.
- To provide respite for families of children living with a blood disorder or cancer.
- To provide children and adolescents with opportunities for coping and understanding in relation to their diagnosis, while building self-esteem and support.
- To allow teens and adolescents to experience positive role-model interactions and friendships with trained volunteers and counselors.
- Week Camp for adolescents living with blood disorders or cancer.
- Week summer camp for children ages 5 and older.
- Weekend educational and therapeutic retreats for teenagers
- Local outing for children ages 8-12
- Carowinds Family Day for patients up to 12 years of age and their families.
- Sunday Carnival for all families, staff, and friends of the BI-LO Charities Children’s Cancer Center
ACTIVITIES AT CAMP:
- Horseback Riding
- Climbing Wall and Leap of Faith
- Entertainment and Shows
- Shag Lessons
- Massage Therapy
- Therapeutic Art Projects
- Hot Air Balloon Rides
CAN I HELP?
To see what items children with cancer and blood disorders need most now, please click here to visit Virtual Toy Drive.
This non-profit program needs your support. For more information on donating or volunteering, please call (864) 455-8741.
What Participants Say:
“I am so grateful for the opportunity to be with these wonderful, special kids. They live life to the fullest every minute of every day.” Tina-Counselor
“There are lots of adventurous things to do! Everyone makes me and all the kids feel special. The staff and counselors are terrific and lots of fun! I wish I could go to Camp Courage all year long.” Troy, 8 years old
“Camp Courage allows the children to be free of many of the limitations they encounter on a daily basis. I have peace of mind knowing the medical staff is on-site. The staff members go out of their way to make this a joyous time. Camp Courage has been a true blessing for both my son and for me.” Sandra, Mother