Pediatric Rheumatologists treat children and teens with autoimmune and auto inflammatory disorders. These are disorders in which the body’s immune system has been turned on when it should not be, and is attacking parts of the body. We also see a limited number of children who have pain that is not due to an inflammatory disorder.
New patient appointments for Pediatric Rheumatology are made by physician referral only. Physicians may call (864) 454-5004 to coordinate a referral.
Symptoms and diagnoses seen at the Pediatric Rheumatology clinic include:
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
- Reactive Arthritis
- Arthritis associated with other diseases, such as psoriasis and inflammatory bowel disease
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Mixed Connective Tissue Disease / Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease / Overlap Syndromes
- Chronic Recurrent Multifocal Osteomyelitis
- Periodic Fever Syndromes
- Chronic joint pain and / or swelling lasting 6 weeks or longer
- Inflammation from an unknown cause
Sometimes we also see other children to help with medication management for diseases affecting the skin, brain, or eyes that are primarily monitored by other physicians.