The Children's Hospital of the Greenville Health System designed this comprehensive weight management program for children ages 6 to 21. The mission of NEW IMPACT is to treat overweight and obese children in the upstate of South Carolina and empower them to develop active and healthy lifestyles. Our team members target the exercise and eating behavior of the entire family system.
- Multidisciplinary approach to manage weight and address related medical, social, and emotional issues
- Cooking and nutritional classes
- Two-month family YMCA membership at participating Upstate YMCAs
- Exciting new partnership with YMCAs in local communities to help promote access to care for our patients (starts April 2014)
- Incentives, support groups, family activities
- One-year program: initial intense 8-week active phase followed by a 10-month maintenance phase
- Reduced program fee of $250 (not covered by most insurance plans)
- Visit our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Who is Eligible?
- Your child must have a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than or equal to the 85th percentile.
- Increased BMI is an indicator of an increased risk of adult-type health problems. (To calculate your child’s BMI, go to http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/ ).
- If your child meets the above criteria, ask your physician about NEW IMPACT or call our office @ 675-3488.