Child life specialists focus on a child's and family's coping with hospitalization and health care experiences. To meet the unique needs of children and families, the Child Life Program at Children's Hospital provides the following activities and services.
- Therapeutic and recreational play activities to ease a child's fears and anxieties.
- Educational preparation and sensory
explanations to help children learn about what they will see, feel, and
hear in the hospital or medical setting.
- Planning, rehearsing, and implementing coping strategies to help children and their families cope with hospitalization and medical procedures.
- Support for siblings to help them understand and cope with their brother's or sister's illness or condition.
- Bereavement support for children and families facing the loss of a loved one.
- Special events,such as holiday parties and camps, for children in the hospital or who are living with chronic illnesses to allow them to participate in normal childhood activities.
Click here to see photos of what patients and staff have been doing.
To contact the Child Life Program at Children's Hospital,
call 864-455-3639 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.