Clinical Service Coordinators (CSCs)
- The goal of the Clinical Service Coordinators of Children's Hospital Autism Wonders program is to make the process within our department more efficient, reduce the wait time for evaluations, and provide support from the front end for families who are just learning about autism spectrum disorders.
- In their role as first responders for Autism Wonders, CSCs Jen Hutchison and Lesley Osborne strive to provide families with children under the age of 4 years old with an initial consultation interview within 3 weeks of referral. Upon completion of the interview, Jen and Lesley will help families determine the appropriateness of an autism evaluation and explain the process within our department to each family.
- For children under the age of 3, the CSCs are also trained to complete the STAT screening tool to identify the risk of autism spectrum disorders and help determine presumptive eligibility for services and treatment prior to a complete evaluation.
- For families with children 4 years and older, a packet of paperwork will be sent to the family upon receipt of a referral. Once this packet is returned, Jen and Lesley will review the information and make an appropriate recommendation for services in our program. Often, families will be contacted by telephone to clarify information in the packet and/or discuss the recommended plan.
- Additionally, the CSCs provide support and assistance in identifying resources to ensure that families are receiving the appropriate services within the community while waiting for their child’s evaluation.
- Because of these initial interviews, we have been able to streamline our diagnostic process.
- Our CSCs also provide the initial contact point for community members interested in gaining more information about Autism Wonders. In this capacity, Lesley and Jen take an active role in educating and connecting families and professionals within our community. They often provide outreach opportunities for the hospital by representing our program at local autism related awareness activities, workshops and fundraisers.
How to get started: Request a referral from your child’s primary care physician in order to be scheduled for an evaluation. Once a referral is made, the CSC will meet with you to assist you in determining what services within our department will best serve your child and your family.